Monday, February 20, 2012

"When Grandma gets better..."

My mother and my daughter are the best of friends. From the time my mom first laid eyes on her granddaughter, it's been a closer than close relationship. The Kid loves going to grandma's house, where "grandma lets her do anything." From filling the bathtub to the rim to eating ice cream out of a crystal ashtray, eating ice cream right out of the container to drinking juice out of the crystal wine glasses, grandma's apartment is a magical place.

 On nights when my husband had to work and I had other commitments, the Kid would go and hang out at Grandma's until daddy was finished work. She packed up her treasures, ransacked my mom's apartment, and although my mom was laid out the next day, she lived for those mother-granddaughter moments.

We did try a sleepover once, even though my kid didn't "sleep" in those days (we hadn't discovered melatonin yet). We were at a stag and doe for our friend's daughter when my cell phone rang at 2330 hrs. It was my mother, 'fessing up that she had fallen getting out of bed on the wrong side (because the Kid was lying beside her in the twin bed) and had "cut her hand." For my mother to be admitting that she cut her hand, I knew it was bad, so we headed over to my mom's immediately.

What my mother described as "cutting her hand" was in actuality a wound that needed 28 stitches. My mother took daily prednisone for years and her skin is like rice paper. She had hit her hand on the door knob when she fell and peeled all the skin off the back of her hand. She and my then 5 year old had managed to bandage it, and my amazing little girl tried to help grandma clean up the blood. Mom had a rubber glove on it to stop the blood from seeping through, and wasn't going to tell me until she started to feel light-headed and decided that maybe it wasn't a good idea...The Kid took it all in stride, but was pretty happy to see grandma the next morning.

All of our lives have changed since mom's medical crisis. The Kid is very empathic, intuitive and tuned into the vibrations of the house and of others. Her anxiety went off the charts when my mom went into crisis. The Kid who would call grandma five times a day if I let her refused to talk to grandma on the phone, and didn't want to visit grandma in the hospital.One visit to hospital to see grandma sent her OCD and Anxiety off the charts and gave the teacher a very difficult couple of days.

The Kid knows that sometimes grandmas don't come home from hospital because her paternal grandma didn't and is now an angel. Once my mom was home and settled into her apartment again, the Kid and my husband came over. It's different now-grandma is frail and weak and can't do the things she could do even a couple of months ago. The Kid is getting back into the habit of phoning grandma to tell her tales. The Kid loves repeating and grandma won't necessarily remember so it's a win-win.

The Kid is pretty smart, but she's still a child. She keeps making future plans that begin with "when Grandma is well enough to babysit me again..." A couple of days ago, she lay on the couch, her head on grandma's lap, my mother gently smoothing the Kid's hair. The Kid was talking a blue streak, making all kinds of plans that started with "when Grandma gets better and she can babysit again..." My mother looked up and caught my eye, and then looked away as my eyes welled with tears. We both know Grandma's babysitting days are over.

I have always been very cognizant of the fact that Grandma and Granddaughter have a finite amount of time together. I pray that it will be long enough for my daughter to remember her grandma. My mother, on her 80th birthday, announced to the whole family that "the Kid was her reward for 80 years of living" and that was true. It breaks my heart to see that relationship change, but it's not safe to leave my daughter alone with grandma any more, for either one of them.

My maternal grandmother was one of the most influential women in my life. She loved fiercely, told it as she saw it, and called us out when we were doing something she didn't approve of. She was all of 5 feet tall and weighed about 98 lbs in full clothes. She once took on a drug dealer with a cast iron frying pan because he turned up on the doorstep and threatened my cousin. We always knew that grandma loved us no matter what, even if she didn't particularly LIKE our choices at a given point in time. May my daughter know that her grandma loves her like that and may she remember it.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautifully told story, Lisa, of the relationship between four generations of women!

    ReplyDelete